Large municipalities and small towns throughout the United States and the world — all have some central location to which local citizenry and visiting dignitaries assemble. Such gatherings may be for entertainment or for official government proclamations. It may be called a park or a square or an arena such as a Coliseum. These assemblies may be officially called, brought forth spontaneously, or may be traditional, seasonal, or scheduled such as a regular day of the week.
Basin Spring Park of Eureka Springs, Arkansas became renown for its healing waters from its early recorded days when attended by native American Indians who were followed by intervening White men.
This Eureka Springs Basin Spring Park has been relevant historically, since July 4, 1879, when some 400 people seeking healing had gathered at this water source. A town grew around this Basin when a Committee of Twelve was sworn in as officials to determine its future destiny. The Town was formalized on February 14, 1880.
By Ordinance/Resolution of April 30, 1880, the Town Council met at the Basin Spring at 6 o’clock p.m., June 5, 1880 to make plans to improve the Spring. Actions were finalized as written in Ordinance Book 1, deeming that a circular embankment would be carved from the bluff at the Basin Spring.
Ever since then, the Basin Spring Park has undergone several alterations and enhancements, however none more significant as the cutting into the mountain side that partially shaped the circle in addition to the widening and elevating of Spring Street that borders its front.
Continue on to find out more info on the famous Basin Park