As clearly seen in this photo, is the scoured basin sculptured by the Osage Indians, which made a useful bowl for capturing the "Healing Waters."
In 1879, those who arrived at the spring were quick to organize minimal construction to best capture the running water for toting back to their dwellings.
With increased settlers and pilgrims in search of healing, a more contemporary structure was built as a holding tank which was made from the abundant limestone from the area.
A pipe with spigots lined the bottom of the tank to accommodate pouring spots.
Upon its completion, a roof was added to keep the water quality clean from debris and falling leaves. It also prevented errant ones from diving into the tank.
The "Balm of Life" sign was the first signal in blessing the spring for its healing powers, along with a festive showering of the waters.
Later, the town people painted a new sign, added gas lighting, and made the barrels useful for the plentiful runoff to be captured.
Gentlemen of the day, usually wore black suits and could not leave home without their walking canes.
The steps at left lead up to the Southern Hotel.
John S. Tibbs became a local entrepreneur exporting the "Healing Waters" to far distant places.
James C. Davenport came to Eureka Springs in August, 1880, and was employed by John Tibbs to help ship water from the Basin Spring. They had to fill their barrels at night as they could not get it through the day owing to the large crowd that was always around the springs.
The men here, appear to be in uniform, have taken over the basin during day hours to gather and pour the potable water into their many large containers.
Stopping his carriage and horses carrying large water cans, this man has a hose extension that he will affix to one of the several spigots that are attached to the holding tank gathering the spring water.
With the renovations to the Basin Park in 1890-91, a holding tank is seen at right with four fancy spigots at top surrounding what appears to be an angelic figurine at center.
Plain fawcets are attached to front and back of the raised tank -- with drains below.
Here shown is the water tank without the "Angelic" figurine.
This tank later accommodated the Black Dog from the Southern Hotel when placed atop as a pedestal.